When calling the IRS, you will need to verify your identity before IRS representatives will discuss your personal information.
Have the following information ready for a successful call:
- Social security numbers (SSN) and birth dates.
- Individual taxpayer identification number; (ITIN) for taxpayers without a social security number.
- Filing status - single, head of household, married filing jointly or married filing separately.
- Prior-year tax return.
- Tax return you are calling about.
- Any correspondence the IRS has sent you.
IRS Help lines are open Monday - Friday.
INDIVIDUALS: 800-829-1040, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. local time.
BUSINESSES: 800-829-4933, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. local time.